bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Looking for Jacks to Stabilize a Slide Out on an Older Travel Trailer Camper


Let me get right out in the open that im a newbie to trailering so bear with me.... Im interested in this jack to support the slide-out on my older camper. For stability, I think two would be best although this one has more than enough support capacity. So, would you please explain the comment in the text below about a user-made rod and also please explain how the 2nd jack gets elevated in tandem with the 1st, since the 2nd doesnt come with a crank. Comment from product description: When used in tandem, a user-made connecting rod is required. Both jacks are designed so that their plunger pins and footplate handles are in easily accessible positions from either side of your trailer.


Expert Reply:

To support your slide out of your older camper, I recommend an Ultra-Fab Slide-Out Support instead of heavy duty jacks.

The Ultra-Fab supports are sold in sets of two and come in three sizes depending on your trailers ground clearance when the slide out is extended. The difference in the three sets we have is the height. The # UF19-9600001 has a range from 16 to 28 inches, the # UF19-960002 has a range from 21 to 37 inches, and the # UF19-960003 has a range from 26 to 47 inches.

All three of these choices has a weight capacity of 1400 lbs.

A couple of reasons I have steered away from the jacks is because most of them need to be welded on the trailer and with a slide out, you probably do not have adequate room for the welding and having them be operational as well. The other reason is when using them in tandem, you will need to have a connecting rod fabricated. The reason that the rod is not included with either of the jacks is because every trailer is different with their spacing, so personal fabrication is the best answer.

This rod will connect the two jacks, the master and the slave. The master has the handle, the slave does not. Both of the jacks have gears in them to move up and down together when the rod is attached to both jacks.

You also asked about cranking of the jacks, the cranks are sold separately. Not everyone requires a crank, so they are sold separate from some jacks.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>