bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Installing Oil Temp Sensor And Oil Cooler Kit On 2003 Ford Explorer


I want to install Derale oil cooler part # 15405 on my 2003 Ford Explorer. I have an oil temp guage that requires a 1/8 NPT port. Id like to know if there is a part that would fit into the sandwich adaptor to attach the temp sensor for the guage. Next question: should it be hooked into the incoming or outgoing line from the cooler? Looks like the hose barbs coming off the sandwich adaptor are 3/8 inch NPT. Thanx for your help.


Expert Reply:

I spoke with my contact at Derale and also with other Experts about your 2003 Ford Explorer options. The least expensive and probably easiest way to install your oil temp gauge sensor is to install an inline tee.

If you choose to use the Derale kit, part # 15405, abd you want to use the oil temp gauge, you are going to need to find a tee that has 1/2 inch barbed ends and a 1/2 inch NPT female. You might be able to find the tee at a hardware store or possibly an auto parts dealer.

If you wish to have the gauge show the oil temperature as it exits the engine, you would insert the tee into the line that runs from the engine to the input side of the oil cooler. This would measure the engine operating temperature of the oil. If you want to have the gauge show the oil temperature after it has been cooled, then insert the tee into the line that runs from the oil cooler back to the engine.

I have attached a drawing of a typical oil cooler installation that may help.
The adapters that are attached to the sandwich adapter are 3/8 inch NPT with 1/2 inch hose barbs.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:
Jeffrey L

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>