Transmission Cooler Recommendation for a 2004 Nissan Frontier Flat Towing a 1997 Geo Tracker
I am going to be towing a 1997 Geo Tracker with my 2004 Nissan frontier. My frontier has a tow rating of 5000#. I am wondering what transmission cooler should I get?
asked by: Hayden
The best way to pick out a transmission cooler is to check out the area in front of the radiator to determine how big of a transmission cooler would fit in the available space. The bigger the cooler you can fit the better. Especially since you plan on towing something as heavy as a vehicle.
The Derale Transmission Cooler part # D13501 that you referenced is a smaller plate and fin cooler that would work decently, but I would go with a bigger one if you can fit it.
If you have the room I would go with the Derale Transmission Coolers # D13502. This cooler measures 11 inches wide by 7-1/4 inches tall with a 7/8 of inch thickness. I attached an install video for this cooler for you to check out and an FAQ article that covers transmission coolers.
I also attached an FAQ on flat towing since you said you will be flat-towing a vehicle.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Transmission Coolers
- Plate-Fin Cooler
- Mid-Size Truck
- Standard Mount
- 11W x 7-1/4T x 7/8D Inch
- With 11/32 Inch Hose Barb Inlets
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: Frequently Asked Questions About Transmission Coolers
- Q&A: Trailer Wiring and Hitch Recommendation for 2012 Toyota RAV4
- Q&A: Correct Hidden/Concealed Trailer Hitch for 2010 Toyota RAV4
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Article: Towing a Trailer? Let's Talk About Brake Controllers
- Q&A: Does Flex-a-lite Transmission Cooler # FLX400117 Come with All Components Needed to Install
- Q&A: Parts Recommendation to Tow a Trailer with a 2016 Honda Pilot
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer Hitch for 2018 Honda CR-V with Hands-Free Tailgate
- Article: Transmission Cooler
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Q&A: Transmission Cooler for 2003 Toyota Tundra with 4.7L Engine
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: REDARC Tow-Pro Liberty vs Tow-Pro Elite