Sway in 1996 Chevy Suburban 1500 Towing 7000-lb Trailer with Weight Distribution/Sway Control Hitch
I have a 1996 Suburban 1500 2WD. I pull a travel trailer with a weight dist hitch and sway bars. The camper that I am pulling is roughly 7000lbs. I have a lot of sway in the rear end of the suburban especially on windy days or at speeds above 55 on the interstate. I am looking for a product to help with the sway, porpusing and roll with the suburban. What do you recommend? Will the Air LIft 2000 alleviate a lot of my problems or is there a better option? Thanks!!
asked by: Tony W
Vehicle rear axle suspension products like air bags and rubber jounce springs are intended primarily to help support the vehicle suspension when it is carrying a heavy and/or uneven cargo load within the vehicle. They are not designed so much for use with towing applications. Also, rear suspension kits of any type can exhibit a tendency to interact with the weight distribution system.
My recommendation is to first re-evaluate your current weight distribution/sway control set up. These systems must be carefully matched to your actual fully-loaded as-towed trailer tongue weight, with all gear, supplies, filled water and propane tanks, etc. We offer a dedicated tongue weight scale (# e99044) but another method to measure tongue weight is shown in the linked article. You also need to add in the weight of anything in the Suburban that is placed behind the rear axle, such as a fully-loaded cooler for example, as this will add to the effective tongue weight on the system. If your trailer's tongue weight is too much for the system you are using it will not be able to provide the desired amount of control. It may be that you simply need to change out your spring bars to a higher-capacity set.
Also, if the trailer is at all out of level when hitched this will create more tendency for sway.
Please feel free to advise your measured fully-loaded tongue weight and what weight distribution/sway control system you are currently using and with that information I can make specific recommendations for you. The linked article on weight distribution systems may be of interest.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Is There a Tongue Weight Scale For Trailers Under 1000-lbs
- When Do You Measure The Trailer Tongue Weight For Setting Up Weight Distribution On Imagine 3100RD?
- Tongue Weight Scale for Scamp 16 Camper
- What Does Trailer Tongue Weight Scale Weigh
- Is Weight Distribution System Needed for 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Towing Cherokee Wolf Pup
- How to Determine When Trailer Weight Distribution System is Needed
- Determining Tongue Weight to Choose Weight Distribution System
- How to Choose Correct Weight Distribution Hitch
- How to Use etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Shank Diameter of Trailer Ball Included With etrailer e99044 Tongue Weight Scale
- Does etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers # e99044 Need Calibration
- Accuracy of etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers
- Is it Ok to Use an etrailer.com e99044 if There is an Air Bubble in the Gauge?
- Does the Plug on the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Need to be Perforated
- Can the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Be Stored In Sub-Zero Temperatures?
- How to Properly Weigh my Trialer to not Exceed my Vehicles Towing Weight Rating
- How to Select Weight Distribution System Spring Bars to Match Measured Trailer Tongue Weight
- Etrailer Tongue Weight Scale VS. Sherline Tongue Weight Scale
- Determining Weight Distribution System Requirements Based on Trailer Loaded Tongue Weight
- What is Trailer Tongue Weight & How Can it be Measured
- How to Store etrailer Tongue Weight Scale e99044
- Margin of Error for the etrailer Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Solution for Sway Control When Towing Boat Trailer with 2011 Chevy Avalanche
- Is 560 lbs a Good Tongue Weight on a 2,820 lb Boat Trailer
- Can Block be Used Under etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Availability Of Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- How to Determine Tongue Weight with Weight Distribution System Connected
- How Stable Is Horse Trailer On The Road Since Axles Are So Far Back?
- How to Measure Loaded Trailer Tongue Weight
- Recommendation of How To Use a Sherline Scale with a Hensley Weight Distribution Hitch and Stinger