bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Hitch Ball Mount and Trailer Wiring Recommendation for 1965 Ford F100 to be Used in Germany


Good Morning, I have a 1965 F100 with the V8 352 engine and would like to put a hitch on it with a 13 pin Euro plug. The truck will be going to Germany and pulling German trailers. Which hitch do I need? Can you supply the the wiring harness and the 13 pin plug? Do you know which ball joint will work in Germany? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day


Helpful Expert Reply:

For your 1965 Ford F100, I would recommend the Draw-Tite Class III trailer hitch part # 40050 if your truck has a standard or step bumper. For a truck with a deep drop bumper # 41504 is the hitch that you would need. A 50mm diameter ball like # 63912 is the standard tow ball in European countries. Pair this with Ball Mount # 80232, and Ball Bushing # 320000 to get your vehicle ready to tow.

I do want to mention that in European countries different hitches are used compared to what we do here in the States. My advice is to contact the transportation authorities for more information as to whether these products made for use in the U.S. will also meet their guidelines.

As for the wiring harness, your truck uses a combined taillight system. When a vehicle has a combined system, both the left and right turn signal wires also carry the brake signal. In Germany, trailers typically use a separate taillight wiring system where the brake signal is carried on a separate wire. The use of the Vehicle to Vehicle Taillight Converter # 118158, will convert your system to the separate system that will be needed. You will still need to purchase the 13 pin Euro plug which will probably have to come from a local retailer in Germany as we don't offer them.

helpful expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>