bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Availability of Rear Axle Air Suspension Enhancement Kit for 2013 Toyota Highlander


I have a customer looking for an air suspension enhancement for towing for his 2013 Toyota Highlander. Is there any thing available? Thanks


Expert Reply:

We have two rear-axle suspension kits for the 2013 Toyota Highlander and one works with the 2- and the other with the 4-wheel-drive models. However, these kits are not air-bag types, but rather a micro-cellular polyurethane foam helper spring that fits between the individual turns of the existing coil springs. The part number for this kit is # CSS-1145R for the 4WD and part # CSS-1168R for the 2WD model.

These are far easier to install than an air bag kit and once in place they are maintenance-free. I've linked the written installation instructions as well as a video for your reference.

Please note these will not increase the Highlander's weight-carrying capacity.

A weight distribution system may be a better option for towing. The linked article will offer additional information.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Follow up Questions


I read your reply to this question because I am looking for the same thing. I have a 2012 Highlander SE that I use for towing a small utility trailer that I converted to a kayak hauler. My wife and I are looking into getting a pop up camper or small single axle hard top. I would like to find an air leveling system for my Highlander that can be adjusted to the different tongue weights and towing loads. Is there nothing out there other than helper springs?

Etrailer Expert
Reply from Jon G.

The only kind of suspension enhancement available for your 2012 Highlander is the Coil SumoSprings. You'll need part # CSS-1168R for a 2WD or part # CSS-1145R for a 4WD. This will become more rigid the more weight that is added to them so in a way you will get some adjustment out of them, just not the fine-tuned adjustment you'd get in an air bag kit.

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>