Easy to Remove Bike Rack Recommendations for a 2008 Toyota RAV4 With Rear Spare Tire
We would like to get a bike rack that is easy to install and uninstall as we would only be using it occasionally. What would you recommend? It needs to hold at least 2 bikes. What would you recommend? Does it have to go onto the spare tire. We definitely dont want a roof rack. Thanks so much for your help.
asked by: Debby C
Helpful Expert Reply:
The bike rack that I recommend for you and your 2008 Toyota RAV4 is the Yakima SpareRide 2 Bike Rack, # Y02599. This is a spare tire mount bike rack that is lightweight and easy to mount and remove. It also does not interfere with access to the rear cargo area.
The most difficult part of this bike rack is the initial installation. This bike rack uses a mounting plate that installs behind the spare tire. You will have to remove the spare tire to install the mounting plate, but once it is installed, it does not have to be removed and it will not interfere with the spare tire or spare tire covers.
This bike rack comes with many features such as locks for the bike rack and bikes, anti-sway cradles and a lifetime warranty. If you will be carrying any womens, childrens or alternative frame bikes, I recommend picking up the Yakima Tube Top Bike Adapter Bar, # Y02531. Bikes with small or angled frames can be difficult to load on hanging style bike racks and they can cause ground clearance issues. This adapter will allow you to load the bikes easily and safely.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Adapter Bar
more information >
- Article: How to Choose a Spare-Tire-Bike Rack
- Q&A: Will Yakima SpareTime 2 Bike Carrier # Y02599 Allow Rear Glass to Open on 2007 Jeep Liberty
- Q&A: Best Spare Tire Mounted Bike Rack Comparison Thule Vs Yakima
- Q&A: Opening the Rear Door with Bike Rack on 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Q&A: Spare Tire Bike Rack Recommendation for Jeep Wrangler with Offroad Oversize Tire
- Q&A: 7-Way RV Trailer Connector Wiring Diagram
- Q&A: Are Additional Diodes Needed for Demco SBS Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System
- Q&A: Rear Support Bar Dimension on Hollywood Racks SR1 2-Bike Spare Tire Bike Carrier HRSR1
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack for a Jeep Wrangler
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack That Will Clear a Rear Mounted Spare Tire or Bumper
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: How to Choose a High-Low Adapter
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch