Using Thule Hitching Post Pro 4-Bike Rack # TH934XTR on 2006 Honda CR-V
I am thinking about buying the Thule Hitching Post Pro - Folding Tilting 4 Bike Rack w Anti-Sway - 1-1/4inch and 2inch Hitches. I will be mounting it on a 2006 Honda CR-V. I will mount only 2 bikes on the rack - one weighs 40# and the other weighs 35#. Add the weight of the adaptor bar plus a security chain which weighs about 12#. Throw in a few straps and bungee cords for securing the bikes. Am I overloading the rack or the hitch? Also, for convenience sake, I might cut off the extra length of the support bars since Im only loading 2 bikes - OK? Thanks.
asked by: Dick B
Your 2006 Honda CR-V can be equipped with either a light-duty 1-1/4-inch Class I hitch or a higher capacity 2-inch Class III type. The Thule Hitching Post Pro 4-Bike Rack # TH934XTR will work in either type of hitch.
A Class I hitch has a maximum tongue weight capacity of 200-lbs. The total weight of your bike rack, bikes and accessory items must not exceed this capacity (or that of your CR-V as indicated in the owner's manual).
The Thule rack weighs approximately 39-lbs; add to this the total bike weight of 75-lbs, the adapter bar at about 3-lbs and your 12-lb security chain and you are at about 129-lbs total load on the hitch, well within the maximum. I suggest you load the heavier bike first to keep it closer to the hitch.
I do not recommend cutting the support arms. Even though you are carrying only 2 bikes the extra room between the bikes provided by the longer arms will make loading them easier and help prevent interference with the rear of the vehicle.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Recommended Bike Rack for a 2012 Volvo XC 70
- Does the Thule Hitching Post Pro or the Thule Camber have Shorter Arms
- Recommended Hitch for a Bike Rack on a 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
- Trailer Hitch and Bike Rack Recommendations for a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
- What Bike Rack Can Be Used With The Thule Tram Or The Yakima HitchSki
- How to Use Thule Bike Rack with 3 inch Trailer Hitch
- 4-Bike Hanging-Style Hitch Rack for Use in 1-1/4-Inch and 2-Inch Hitches
- 3- or 4-Bike Hitch Rack for Use on Class C Winnebago Motor Home
- Recommended Bike Rack for 3 Bikes
- Does The Thule Hitching Post Pro Work With A 2012 Toyota RAV4
- How to Use a Carbon Frame Bike on the Thule Hitching Post Bike Rack
- Is the Thule Hitching Post Pro Available With A 2 Inch Shank Only
- What Do You Recommend for Transporting 4 Bikes on a 2017 Mazda 6?
- Comparing the Thule Vertex and Thule Hitching Post Pro for a 2015 Toyota Sienna
- Comparing Thule Hitching Post Pro and Yakima RidgeBack 4-Bike Racks
- Comparing Thule Hitching Post Bike Rack to Curt Premium 5 Bike Rack
- Which Trailer Hitch Is Needed To Use Thule 4-Bike Rack On 2018 Kia Soul?
- What Is The Per Bike Weight Limit Of The Thule Hitching Post Pro 4 Bike Rack?
- Differences Between Thule Hitching Post Pro # TH934XTR and Vertex # TH9029
- Trailer Hitch Mount Bike Rack Recommendations for a 2013 Honda CR-V
- Thule Hitching Post Pro Compatibility With a 2022 Ford Bronco Sasquatch Edition
- Dou you recommend the Thule Hitching Post Pro or the Hollywood Racks Destination
- Measuring to Determine if Bike Rack Will Clear Spare Tire on Jeep Wrangler
- Hitch Pin Hole Depth Required For A Thule Receiver Hitch Bike Rack
- Will the Thule TH914XT Fit on a 2009 Toyota Rav4 with Rear Door Mounted Spare Tire
- Rear Door Clearance on 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited with Thule Hitching Post Pro Rack TH934XTR
- Trailer Hitch and Bike Rack Recommendations for a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 and 4 Bikes
- How Tall is the Vertical Arm of the Thule Hitching Post Pro Hitch Mount Bike Rack