bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

How Can Rattling and Wobbling Be Stopped on Surco 24x60 Cargo Carrier


I bought the carrier and saw that there are two hollow pipes under the carrier on each side that support the carrier. Is this for adding additional support to the carrier hitch or car somehow? It would be a good idea to have additional rods to attach to the car or hitch somehow to support the wobbliness of the carrier. If you sell a kit for that, please email me with info. I bought the 24x60 carrier and would like to carry a small dirtbike on it.I would prefer to have a support brace that I could attach to the bottom of carrier with some sort of brace. So, a metal brace that would go from the bottom of platform to about three feet up or more, two inches wide?, to attach the bike to with bungees/rope. Got anything like that?


Expert Reply:

It would not be wise to modify the car with extra attachment points to the vehicle for stability or to add tie-down poles for the cargo. Altering or adding to the structure can weaken the carrier not to mention void any applicable manufacturer warranty.

We carry parts to remedy the wobbling problem like part # RM-061. Anti-rattle devices put some tension between the accessory and the hitch, just enough to reduce rattling and wobbling.

Using a tie-down post for something like a dirt bike would probably prove to be too much tension on the post and either the post or the frame of the carrier would bend. I would suggest running ratchet straps from both sides of the bike to the rails of the cargo carrier. They will keep the bike upright and since the tension is applied in multiple locations, it should not harm the carrier. I have added a link to a video of one of our motorcycle carriers being demonstrated. I would suggest strapping your dirt bike down in a similar fashion to what the video demonstrates. Since your carrier is not fitted for dirt bike tires, you may want to use two more straps on the rear of the bike.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>