bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Wiring 12 Volt Power to Leer Camper Shell on a 2013 Chevy Silverado


Expert Reply: You are going to want to find the Center High Mount Stop Light wire for the brake light on the truck cap on your 2013 Chevy Silverado. This wire is bundled with the brake controller wiring located under the dash, and held together with tape and a tag that lists the wiring functions. The wire you are looking for is orange and will have a tag on it labeled CHMSL. expert reply by: Michael H I have found the bundle and tested the Brake but I also need the red/bk for power to my leer cap add ons but there is no pwr. it is labled batt. is there a fuse link that is not in? also my wiring will need to exit the firewall to go down and under to my cap what is the best route.


Expert Reply:

You have a couple of options to get 12 volt power to the camper on your 2013 Chevy Silverado. First, if the truck has a functioning 7-Way trailer connector you can tap into the 12 volt power wire behind the 7-Way. The 12 volt circuit is in the 11 oclock position if looking at the back of the 7-Way.

The other option is to get the power direct from the battery. I have included a link to a help article that explains where the 12 volt connection is made to the battery for the trailer connector. You can use this same location to run a power wire directly to the camper.

There is possibly a missing fuse. You can check the power distribution box lid for the legend of the location of 12 volt power fuse. You will need a 40 amp fuse in that location. If the wire you have found is under the dash of the truck then that is the brake controller power wire and you will need to put a fuse in its location.

Routing the wires through the firewall can be tricky. Look for any other wiring harness that goes through the firewall and you may be able to shove it through the same hole. Otherwise you will need to drill and be careful because you don't want to accidently drill through anything on the other side of the firewall.

expert reply by:

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>