Troubleshooting Faint Taillight Functions on a Horse Trailer
not a real wiring-techno type guy here. I have a 7 way RV flat blade plug on a 2004 Diamond bumper pull horse trailer. My 96 Dodge Ram 1500 has the same connector. When I plug the two together I get zero on the side-running lates, and zero on brake/reverse lights. When I hit the turn signals the trailer lights in back show a very, very faint light virtually zero. On the truck end connection I have 4-wires into it: L/R Turn signals Ground Brake controller I need help obviously.
asked by: Jeff C
A couple of things could be what's going on. First thing I would do is inspect both trailer connectors on your truck and trailer. Clean off the connection points as it sounds like you have some corrosion that is preventing the connection from being made.
The next place to look is the grounds of the trailer. Each light assembly should be grounded to a clean metal surface. A lot of assemblies ground through the mounting hardware so make sure they are attached to a clean metal surface. Lastly, you want to check the main ground of the trailer wiring. This is the ground wire that runs from the trailer connector to the trailer frame.
I attached a couple helpful FAQ articles to the right for you to check out as well.
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Q&A: Blule Ox Baseplate For A Diesel 2020 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali
- Article: Pintle-Hitches
- Article: How to Install a Brake Controller on Chevrolet / GMC 1999-2006 Pickups
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Flat Tow 2023 Ford Bronco
- Q&A: 6k Hub Drum that Can Fit Timbren Axle Less Kit part # ASR1THDS03
- Q&A: Parts Needed To Activate Trailer Brakes With A 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander
- Q&A: Availability Of 33" Ark Stabilizer Jack And Dimensional Diagrams Of Similar Ark Corner Steadies
- Q&A: How To Mount Pollak Connector PA66GF30
- Q&A: 2-1/2 Inch Trailer Hitch With Best Ground Clearance for a 2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 Classic