bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Welding a 2 Inch Receiver to a Steel Plate on a 1998 GMC C/K Series Pickup Truck


Hi just what type of metal the reducer sleeve is made of. I plan on welding it to the bottom of a 1/2inch plate on my 1998 gmc pick-up to accept a 2inch receiver. just want to make sure it is not a cheap quality metal. also would like to know wall thickness. thank-you


Expert Reply:

Reducer sleeve # 58102 is made of steel. The same steel used to make trailer hitches. The wall thickness is 1/4 but varies slightly from sleeve to sleeve.

This reducer sleeve is not really meant for the purpose you want. I have a better option for you. You could use a hitch fabrication part such as # E-9, # E-11, # 2852, # 80818, or # E17. The ones that are raw steel would be much better for welding and they are designed for applications like you are describing.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>