Trunk Mounted Bike Rack Recommendation for a 2012 Chevy Volt to Carry Schwinn Windwood Cruisers
I need a trunk mount bike rack for a 2012 Chevy Volt that will hold 2-Schwinn Windwood cruiser bikes 1-mens and 1-ladies...I checked with a local bike shop and they thought I would need a 3-bike rack with a bike adaptor bar for the ladies bike.... Windwood retro-cruiser models are wider than a mountain bike...what do you suggest? rack is not available locally.
asked by: Phil H
Helpful Expert Reply:
After looking up pictures of your bike you would definitely need to use an adapter bar to carry your bike on a hanging bike rack. The adapter we recommend the most is the Swagman part # 64005 because it is the easiest to use of the ones we carry. I attached a review video for this product for you to check out as well.
The three bike trunk mounted bike rack I would recommend for you 2012 Chevy Volt that has been confirmed to fit your vehicle is the Thule OutWay part # TH56BV.
What makes this rack far superior to the others is the attachment system. It uses only 2 retractable coated steel cables to attach to the vehicle rather than the 4-6 nylon straps like other racks. This makes installation quick and easy and the cables also last longer.
The cables store inside the rack so there are no loose straps ends to flap around. The cables can also be locked into position to deter theft of the rack. And there is also an integrated cable lock in the last bike position to deter bike theft.
This rack also features the latest and greatest in cradles. The cradles have road dampening technology which protects bike frames better than other cradles.
Only other thing you need to consider is the weight of your bikes. This rack has a capacity of 105 lbs, so as long as your bikes weigh less than that this rack should work well for you.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Frame Mount - Standard
- 3 Bikes
- Bike and Rack Lock
- Fits Most Factory Spoilers
- 2 Straps
- Adjustable Arms
- Hanging Rack
more information >
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes
- Q&A: Does Champion 4,500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter # CH44FR Come with Battery
- Article: How to Choose a Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack
- Q&A: Best Bike Rack for E-Bikes with Fenders Step Through Frame and 1-1/4 inch Hitch
- Q&A: Does A Mens Trek Marlin Need an Adapter Bar on a Hanging Style Bike Rack
- Q&A: Can Thule EasyFold XT 2 Be Used With A Motorhome
- Q&A: Will 7 inch Rise of Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE Work with 2017 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Q&A: 2022 Nissan Rogue Hitch and Bike Rack Recommendations
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: What is an RV-Approved Bike Rack? (And Do You REALLY Need One?)
- Q&A: Why Cant Some Bike Racks be Used on the Back of an RV or Trailer
- Article: 30-Amp and 50-Amp RV Service: 8 Things You Need to Know
- Article: Top Weight Distribution Hitches for a Buttery Smooth Ride
- Article: Trailer Hitch Receiver Sizes