Problems With Light Functions On Trailer After Installing 7-Way Connector
I replaced my factory trailer connection with a OEM. I matched all the wires by color except that the OEM has a yellow wire and there is a red wire coming from the truck side. All lights work on the trailer but when I apply the brake the lights go out on the trailer. I guessing I have the brake and stop light wires crossed up but not sure which way to go Can you help?
asked by: Stan C
When you are installing a trailer connector like part # PK11893, you can run into issues due to the wires that the vehicle manufacturer used have different colors.
This is why we always recommend using a circuit tester, like part # PTW2993, to test the wires on the vehicle side, and make sure the wires on the trailer side connector match by function and not by color.
I have attached a helpful article that explains trailer wiring you can check out. In the article there is also a helpful chart that breaks down the functions on a connector. You can also check out the photo that shows what each of the pin functions are on a 7-way connector.
When working with electrical connectors I recommend using dielectric grease like part # 11755. This keeps dirt and moisture out of the electrical connections and helps prevent corrosion.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Trailer Wiring
- Dielectric Grease
more information >
- Electrical Tools
- Circuit Tester
- Performance Tool
more information >
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Q&A: Blule Ox Baseplate For A Diesel 2020 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali
- Article: How to Install a Brake Controller on Chevrolet / GMC 1999-2006 Pickups
- Article: Pintle-Hitches
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Flat Tow 2023 Ford Bronco
- Q&A: Difference Between RoadActive Suspension Kits for 2024 GMC Sierra 2500
- Q&A: 6k Hub Drum that Can Fit Timbren Axle Less Kit part # ASR1THDS03
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Install Curt Inline Echo Brake Controller On Vehicle with 4-Way
- Q&A: Parts Needed To Activate Trailer Brakes With A 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander
- Q&A: Availability Of 33" Ark Stabilizer Jack And Dimensional Diagrams Of Similar Ark Corner Steadies