How to Construct Custom Axle for Scratch-Built Trailer Using Spindle # TRU37FR
We are building this trailer from scratch for a FFA project. If I want to make a standard 96inch wide face to face axle: how long do we cut the pipe? The deck of our trailer is 83. I was told to get a 3inch OD pipe with a .25 wall. Any advise would help. We intended on making 7000 axles.
asked by: Scotty M
Helpful Expert Reply:
First, I wish you good luck with your build project. No one eats without our farmers!
Do please note that DOT regulations limit trailers to a width of no more than 103-inches for on-road use. If your trailer will see only agro use and never go on road this is not a concern, but do please keep this in mind if there is any chance the trailer will need to be pulled on public roads. You could be fined for pulling an oversize trailer without first obtaining the required permits.
If your planned axle is to be 96-inches wide from hub face to hub face, once you add your tires/wheels on each side you will be over the maximum 103-inch overall width. I pulled a sample of the 3-inch EZ Lube Spindle you referenced, part # TRU37FR , and also of a compatible hub/drum assembly # 42866UC3-EZ to help you determine how long your axle tube can be with these spindles and hubs in place.
With this hub in place on the spindle the hub face (where the wheel mounting surface will contact it) will be 4-1/2-inches out from the rear side of the brake mounting flange. You need also to add the width of your planned wheels/tires and then double that total dimension to account for both ends of the axle. This will tell you how long your axle tube can be and still be legal.
For a 7000-lb axle it is recommended that you hub face to spring center dimension is between 13- and 18-inches. Also it is recommended to have at least a 1-inch gap between the inside tire wall and the closest part of the trailer when under a load.
Also note that neither you nor I have any way to be certain of the weight capacity of your scratch-built axle or of your entire trailer. Without the usual R&D and testing performed by axle and trailer manufacturers you will be in unknown territory as to the actual weight capacity of your project. This is an important safety concern and may make a locally store-bought axle a better option.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Hubs and Drums
- Hub with Integrated Drum
- EZ Lube
- For 5200 lbs Axles
- For 6000 lbs Axles
- For 7000 lbs Axles
- 8 on 6-1/2 Inch
- 16 Inch Wheel
- 16-1/2 Inch Wheel
- 17 Inch Wheel
- 17-1/2 Inch Wheel
more information >
- Search Results: 48 x 12 trailer tires
- Search Results: 48 x12
- Shop: #42 E-Z Lube Spindle w/ Flange for 5.2K to 7K Trailer Axles - 2-1/4" Diameter
- Shop: #84 E-Z Lube Spindle w/ Brake Flange for 3,500-lb Trailer Axle - 1-3/4" Diameter
- Shop: #84 E-Z Lube Spindle w/ Brake Flange for 3,500-lb Trailer Axles - 4" Drop
- Shop: CE Smith Trailer Axle Beam with Standard Spindles - Galvanized - 57-1/2" Long - 1.8K
- Shop: Dexter Trailer Idler Hub Assembly for 2,000-lb Axles - 5 on 4-1/2
- Search Results: boat trailer axel
- Search Results: ratchet
- Search Results: weld on steel rollers
- Search Results: mt70380
- Search Results: torque wrench
- Q&A: What Size of Spindle is Needed for a 3,500-Lb Axle
- Q&A: Determining the Carrying Capacity of Trailer
- Shop: Titan Chain Lashing Winch for Flatbed Truck or Trailer - Side Mount - Weld On - 6,000 lbs
- Shop: Buyers Products 4" Standard Sliding Trailer Winch
- Article: Determining Trailer Tongue Weight
- Q&A: Trailer Tire Upgrade Fitment on a Magic Tilt MT16W 1250 Boat Trailer
- Q&A: Max Highway Speed Rating for 4.80-12 Tires
- Q&A: How to Identify Replacement Bearings & Seals for Magic Tilt Boat Trailer
- Q&A: Highest Speed Rating for a 4.80 x 12 Trailer Tire
- Q&A: Speed Rating of Load Star 4.80-12 Load Range B Tire
- Article: Where to Position the Trailer Axle?
- Video: Review of TruRyde Trailer Spindles - Replacement 42 EZ Lube Spindle - TRU37FR
- Article: Double-Eye Trailer Suspension System Review
- Shop: Brake Controller
- Article: Adding Electric Over Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- Video: Kodiak Disc Brake Kit Review
- Shop: Gooseneck Hitch
- Video: etrailer Trailer Axle 4-Leaf Double-Eye Spring Installation